Customers received cleaning agent instead of water, and Cracker Barrel was fined $9.4 million.
A jury awarded $9.4million to a Tennessee man who took a sip of water from a Cracker Barrel in 2014 only to find he had swallowed a harsh kitchen cleaner, far more than the 150,000 dollars he had asked for.
On January 6, a Marion County jury awarded William Cronnon (dollars) 3.6 million (dollars) in non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, and 730,000 (dollars) in economic damages.
“The jury awarded compensatory damages of (dollars) 4.3 million in just 30 minutes – one of the fastest verdicts we have ever seen – and punitive damages of (dollars) 5 million after only 10 minutes of additional deliberation,” Cronnon’s attorney, Thomas Greer, said. CNN.
“The speed with which the verdict was delivered, combined with the fact that it was more money than we asked for, shows how dangerous Cracker Barrel’s policy was,” Greer said.
However, due to a Tennessee law that caps punitive and non-economic damages at $750,000. Cronnon is unlikely to receive the full amount.
According to a three-page lawsuit filed in 2015, Cronnon was having lunch at a Cracker Barrel in April 2014 when he was served Eco-San kitchen cleaner, which caused him “permanent and serious internal physical injury.”
According to the lawsuit, the chemical caused “a burning sensation in the mouth and esophagus.”
According to WTVC, the chemicals in Eco-San are classified as “extremely hazardous” by the National Fire Protection Association.
Cronnon received the toxic drink from an unknown source, according to court documents.
The container was kept in unmarked jugs, according to court documents, but Cracker Barrel told DailyMail.com their policy was “never to put chemicals in unmarked containers”.
The jury’s decision “disappointed” the South Tennessee fast food chain.
“While we respect the legal system, we are clearly disappointed and strongly disagree with the jury’s decision in this case, which concerned an unfortunate and isolated incident that occurred at one of our stores eight years ago.”
“As we consider our options in light of this decision, we are relieved that this matter is now behind us so that we can focus on supporting our guests and employees across the country,” the company said. in a press release.
Speaking to WTVC, Cronnon’s attorney Greer criticized the company.
“Rather than accepting personal responsibility and accountability for their actions, they abused the legal system by denying they had done anything wrong,” he said.
“They will almost certainly appeal this decision and do whatever they can…
Nokia news in brief
William Cronnon had lunch at a location in Marion County, Tennessee in 2014. He took a sip of water to find he had drunk Eco-San kitchen cleaner. ‘disappointed’ with jury awardTennessee law that caps non-economic damages at $750,000 could mean Cronnon won’t see much money