Hello neighbors – happy Sunday! I’m back with your new edition of the Austin Daily.
Grab your morning coffee as we dive into:
- Affordable housing for teachers removed from AISD bond proposal.
- Local health experts are urging Texas universities to prepare for monkeypox outbreaks.
- A new report shows Austin will need 100,000 new apartments by 2035 to meet demand.
- And much more ➡️
First, today’s weather forecast:
Partly sunny and warm. High: 104 Low: 76.
Here are today’s top stories in Austin:
1) Affordable housing for teachers removed from AISD bond proposal. On Thursday, the City of Austin discussed two possible Austin ISD November bond proposals. In an effort to combat teacher retention, one of the proposals included affordable housing for teachers. The affordable housing portion was removed, however, the district said the idea was not completely off the mark. KXAN has more on that story here.
2) Local health experts are urging Texas universities to prepare for monkeypox outbreaks. Texas health officials are urging universities to start communicating with students before the fall semester about how to identify and avoid getting monkeypox. Authorities are also urging schools to prepare outbreak response plans. Check out the whole story on KUT.
3) A new report shows Austin will need 100,000 new apartments by 2035 to meet demand. Austin officially has the highest demand for additional apartments across the United States. KVUE reports: “The demand ranking was calculated using the projected percentage growth of tenants from 2021 to 2035 and the absolute number of new tenants projected for this same period. Austin came in fifth place for the absolute number of new tenants. units needed with 117,107 and came in second place for percentage growth needed at 2.6%.The combined numbers pushed Austin into the top spot.KVUE has more on that story here.
4) Puppy looking for a forever home after four years at a Leander animal shelter. Six-and-a-half-year-old Darwin could be your next four-legged friend! Darwin has been at the shelter since 2018 and deserves to go to a loving family. Find out how to bring Darwin home to FOX 7 Austin.
Today in Austin:
- Paramount Summer Classic Film Series Presents: “Clueless” @ The Paramount Theater. (12:30 p.m.)
- Pizza Jam: with Flyjack, Jelly Ellington, Pierson Saxon and The YAM Supa Jam + special guest at Parish. (5 p.m.)
- Dancing Gavin Dance with Royal Coda and body thief at Emo’s. (Doors at 6:30 p.m.)
- El Re Tokin presents: Camilo Septimo with Francisca Valenzuela at Empire Garage. (Doors at 7 p.m.)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Thanks for following and staying informed! Have a great weekend, I’ll see you in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update.
— Jessica Collins
About me: Jessica has been happy to call Austin home for over 10 years. She loves the outdoors, the arts and movies, restaurants, and all the natural beauty Central Texas has to offer.
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Austin Daily? Contact me at DowntownAustin@patch.com