Can’t play YouTube videos on your mobile or send them to a device? Is there a black screen with a message that restricted mode is active? This YouTube feature protects young users by limiting the categories and themes they can play. We tell you how to delete it if you have accidentally activated it, also vice versa.
Despite the fact that platforms such as Twitch or TikTok threaten the throne of YouTube, the service acquired by Google in 2006 after spending 1,650 million dollars, it is YouTube which remains number one when it comes to offering a support for medium and long videos. extension. With this popularity, Google had to include different tools to protect those who do not want to reproduce inappropriate content. Restricted Mode is one of the most common features.
In Restricted Mode, this severely limits YouTube content
The idea behind this mode is to filter the videos to play prevent viewing if said videos have an inappropriate theme for minors. In practice, a good part of the videos can be qualified as not adapted: it is enough that a coarse language is used so that they take this qualification; which will reflect a black screen when playing them.
Restricted mode limits videos and also the comments of these videos. When activated, a black screen appears with the message “This video is not available when restricted mode is enabled“. In the case of comments, if the aforementioned mode is running, the messages are hidden under a “Restricted mode has hidden comments for this video“.
This restricted mode affects the following:
- On the device where it is enabled/disabled.That is to say that if you use a mobile, you must activate/deactivate the restricted mode on said mobile; without affecting your computer, tablet and any other device on which you play YouTube with your Google account.
- in family accounts. Families whose parents have child accounts linked to theirs can enable Restricted YouTube on a child-by-child basis.
- Smart speakers and displays have their own restricted YouTube mode. This affects all platform content that is sent from mobile, even if restricted mode is not enabled.
In case you get the youtube black screen with the message that you have restricted mode enabled, you can disable it in the following ways depending on the device or environment you are in. If you want to activate the restricted mode, follow the same steps: the process is identical.
How to Remove YouTube Restricted Mode on Your Mobile or Tablet
- Open the YouTube app and navigate to your avatar icon.
- Go to settings”.
- Go to general settings.
- Scroll down to “Restricted mode” and turn it off. Or click on the selector in case you want the opposite, activate it.
How to Enable or Disable Restricted Mode on a Family Account
- If you don’t already have it, download the Google Family Link app on your phone.
- Open the app and enter the account managed by your family.
- Click on the family member you want to edit and click “Manage Settings”.
- Go to YouTube and enable or disable restricted mode.
- To activate restricted mode, the family account must open YouTube on their mobile at least once.
How to Remove Restricted Mode from a Google Home or Nest
- Open the Google Home app on your mobile.
- Navigate to the speaker or smart display you want to configure and click on the top settings icon, on the cogwheel.
- Go to “Notifications and Digital Wellbeing”.
- Go to “YouTube Settings”.
- Look at the top menu for restricted mode and turn off the “Restrict for me” options.
- If you want, you can remove the restrictions for any YouTube video by unchecking the “Prohibit unauthorized people” box.